Aimed at pinpointing and acknowledging the work of educational institutions that are developing Service-Learning projects that promote active youth citizenship and integrate students’ curricular learning with Service-Learning actions to the benefit of the community.
We know that education quality does not simply imply transmitting academic content, but it demands training students in democratic participation, focusing on improving learning and the quality of life of the community.
The Regional Award Committee shall assess all the experiences submitted and shall provide feedback and suggestions on their progress and optimization.
To that end, International Organization “Interactive Open Schools” (further on MIOS) and partners of the Service-Learning Network for Central and Eastern Europe (CEE SL Network) with the support of Latin-American Centre for Solidarity Service-Learning (CLAYSS) invites all primary and secondary schools that are developing and conducting Service-Learning practice to participate in the Second Regional Award for Successful Service-Learning Practice.
THE AWARD IS AIMED AT:
- Collecting and systematizing Service-Learning practices that allow students to broaden learning horizons and to commit themselves to transforming their communities jointly with other social actors.
- Acknowledging the schools that better integrate students’ curricular learning with service actions aimed at improving the quality of life of their communities.
- Creating visibility for the teachers who commit themselves to the implementation of a Service-Learning practice aimed at improving education quality and inclusion, which could lead to social transformation, and for the students whose educational trajectory is oriented towards active citizenship.
- Promoting and disseminating a culture based on participation, service and citizen engagement.
- Offering feedback on the experiences submitted and assessed, including technical support, bibliographic suggestions and training material.
WHO CAN APPLY
The 2021 Regional Service-Learning Award is open to all public, private and social schools that develop and implement Service-Learning practices in the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia. These schools can cover preschool, primary and secondary education , as well as all modalities that are officially recognized and aimed at the development of Service-Learning.
To be eligible, all experiences must be implemented during the 2019/20 and / or 2020/21 school year and completed before June 30, 2021.
The award recognizes the efforts made by educators and schools to create experiential learning opportunities, strong connections with the community and promote civic involvement of students. In addition to the promotion that your school will receive for your innovative work and the prestige of becoming part of an international network of reputable schools, there are also cash prizes for the three best projects as well as an Honorary Award.
Also, each participating country will award recognition to the finalists in the form of a Certificate of Appreciation, certified by the seal and signature of the partners of the Service-Learning Network for Central and Eastern Europe.
HOW TO APPLY
All Service-Learning experiences are submitted exclusively through the Application Form for the Regional Service-Learning Award. The information provided in the application form must be sufficiently detailed to fully describe all aspects of the experience. Educational institutions may submit any other, additional material they deem essential to better understand the experience.
The BASIC condition is that the submitted Application Form be signed and certified by the central body of the school, ie. the director (or the highest level of the non-governmental organization under whose supervision you have implemented Service-Learning).
Completed applications in PDF format, together with attached supporting materials - evidence, statements of participants and indicators illustrating the processes and results explained in the Application Form (promotional material, flyers, posters, videos, photos, media links, etc.) send to e -mail address firstname.lastname@example.org with the indication: "Application-SL-country name" in the e-mail address. Only applications sent by e-mail will be considered valid, and incomplete, uncertified and unsigned applications will not be considered.
Participation in the Regional Service-Learning Award implies consent to publish all submitted information and materials, if the institution is among the finalists. Under no circumstances will the submitted forms and accompanying materials be returned.
The submitted applications will first be evaluated by the Technical Team of the Regional Service-Learning Award, followed by a Jury composed of representatives of the CEE SL Network and experts in this field.
The call for applications for the Regional Service-Learning Award 2021 is open until July 15, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
The First Prize in the amount of one thousand dollars ($ 1,000), the Second Prize in the amount of seven hundred and fifty dollars ($ 750) and the Third Prize in the amount of five hundred dollars ($ 500) calculated according to the exchange rate on the day in local currency.
If one of the three awards is won, the prize fund can be used for the materials needed for the development and implementation of a new Service-Learning project or to expand the submitted experience.
The second Regional Award will be awarded by the end of 2021, organized by the International Association "Interactive Open Schools" (MIOS), and the technical and logistical organization of the entire event will be in line with the upcoming situation. The winning experiences will be announced after the ceremony on the website of MIOS Tuzla and CEE SL Network.
It is considered that all schools participating in the competition agree with the rules of this call, as well as the decisions of the jury that will be made individually, without any review or appeal. All institutions that did not make it to the finals will receive feedback from Service-Learning experts to improve the proposals presented.
Download the Application Form and Terms and Conditions in the desired language of the country in front of which you are applying:
Award-winning schools 2020 were:
- st AWARD: Middle School “Sava Popovici Barcianu” Sibiu, Romania „Sheepfolds in the Cândrel Mountains“
- nd AWARD: Primary school Zemianska Olča Nitra, Slovakia „Staničkári“
- rd AWARD: Primary and Secondary school Zenit Prishtine, Kosovo „Cleaning a part of the riverbank of river "Llap" and building seats, tables, and garbage bins“
Honorable Mentions 2020:
- Primary and nursery school Poprad, Slovakia „Birdhouses and feeders“
- Medical School „7. April“ Novi Sad, Serbia „A circus in the school“
- Middle School Slimnic Sibiu, Romania „Leaning Tower from Ruși“
- Gymnasium Xhavit Ahmeti Gjilan, Kosovo „Cultural heritage in the eyes of the students“
- The Public Institution Primary School “Miladije“ Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina “Making PECS cards”
- Rogacionistet High School Lezhë , Albania “Remembrance not to forget”